Friday 25 June 2010

Wonderful neighbours



As mentioned in my previous post, I met Gheorghe and Ileana yesterday from next door but one. During our "chat" I had learned that Ileana makes jams and preserves and that Gheorghe could supply wood for winter fuel. Imagine my surprise when Ileana came to my house this morning with a large jar of homemade plum jam produced from fruit harvested last season in my orchard - with the previous owner's permission. Then, around 5 o'clock this afternoon, Gheorghe turns up with a tractor and TWO trailer loads of wood which is then stacked under cover in my courtyard by Gheorghe and three young villagers! Cost of the winter fuel - 200 lei (£40) which will be amply covered by the UK winter fuel allowance which I will still receive even though I no longer live in the UK (thank you EU for making that a "directive"). While the unloading was going on, Ileana disappeared and came back with a kilo of mamaliga (polenta) ground at home from their corn crop! I think I'm really becoming part of the village! Must learn more Romanian asap so our "chats" can be longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment