Saturday 26 June 2010

Food and water


Here's a photo for all the chocaholics out there! Romanians love their cakes, which usually seem to come out at every meal I have ever had with friends, so I am subscribing to this tradition. This one is CHOCOLATE sponge with CHOCOLATE cream filling, covered in CHOCOLATE and decorated with white, milk and plain CHOCOLATE - all for around £2! Not very big at 6" square but it's sooo rich I can only manage a small piece each time!
As well as cakes, I am also stocking up on traditional Romanian meat products. In my freezer are some mititei (mici) which are the sausage-shaped Romanian equivalent of hamburgers, made from ground pork and mutton plus herbs and seasoning. Also in the freezer are some pork snitzels and a pack of chicken breast fillets. Meats are mostly quite a bit cheaper here although the chicken breast fillets are about the same price as in the UK.
Also in the freezer are some fillets of a fish I had never heard of but which were very cheap at £1.60 per kilo (frozen weight). When I got home I "Googled" it and was left wondering whether I ought to throw it straight in the bin! It is called Pangasius and if you haven't come across it in Tesco, I will leave you to check it out for yourself! I decided to ignore the "Do not eat this fish" advice as it was over two years old (the advice, not the fish fillets) and I sauteed one fillet last night with no ill effects. Flavour was a bit bland as I only had garlic available to add to the pan but next time it will be cooked with more herbs, lemon juice etc following a recipe I found online.
In the fridge are two types of ham "sausage", one fine the other coarse, and some chicken breast cremewurst plus tomatoes, peppers and cucumber to make salads which are also served with most Romanian meals. And, of course, the remainder of the CHOCOLATE cake!
There is no mains water in the village and the water from my well has not been tested yet although it is now considerably clearer than when I arrived and started the pump for the first time in over a year. I only use well water for washing myself and for washing up after it has been heated. For making tea, cooking and brushing my teeth I buy "table" water in 6 litre bottles which are only 44p each. Using my free well water plus three or four bottles of table water a week therefore costs considerably less than the water rates I used to pay to Thames Water when living in Grove!
Finally on food, anyone who knows their 60's music will probably remember a Manfred Mann song called "Water Melon Man". I found myself humming it this afternoon because we had a real water melon (sales)man in the village selling said melons from the back of a van! No point in me buying one though as they were HUGE and one would last me a fortnight even if I had a slice with every meal!

1 comment:

  1. HI Laurie

    Sounds as though you are getting a lot of good connections and learning about the local foods. I hope one day to come and sample some of your cake. Best wishes for your future progress.

    BarryQ

    ReplyDelete