Sunday 27 June 2010

My well won't run dry!



So much rain over the last five days that ground water level has risen by nearly half a metre and the water in the 3 metre diameter above-ground pool started to overflow after level rose by about 100mm.
Thought I had better check the cellar this morning and sure enough the old lime mortar pit (now known as "Dracula's grave") was full to the brim. When my eyes grew accustomed to the gloom I realised I was standing at the edge of a lake of water covering the rest of the cellar floor which slopes away towards the front of the house. Fortunately I already have a submersible pump and 25 metres of hose so this was quickly deployed to pump out "Dracula's grave". Once that was done, I paddled into the lake which was over 150mm deep at the front end of the cellar and dug out a small sump in the mud floor so the pump could pick up as much of the water as possible. While the pump was doing its job, I lifted the well cover to find the water level was indeed much higher than it was at the beginning of June. I had already plumbed the well shortly after arriving here and found that it was almost 6 metres deep so water depth is now 5 metres! With that much water in the ground should I be feeling seasick?

Update: Tuesday 29th
My neighbours on same side of street are also suffering from the flooded cellar problem. Someone has brought in a small petrol engined pump use of which has been offered to me by Ionel but I explained that I have an electric pump already pumping out the water. I wonder if they understand that it is ground water we are pumping out and the problem will continue with regular pump-out necessary until ground water level drops nearly one metre.

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me you should re-brand Dracula's grave as Dracula's Spa. Just another attraction for the punters....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the well water is a cure for something. Anyone with rheumatism, back pains, etc care to test it?

    ReplyDelete